Descrição da Vaga
Purpose of position
In March 2019, Tropical Cyclone Idai made landfall near Mozambique Beira city, leaving devastating loss of life and large-scale destruction of assets and infrastructure in its wake. Some entire villages were submerged as flood waters rose across the central region of the country in the provinces of Sofala, Zambezia, and Manica. Thousands of families were affected by the cyclone and the subsequent floods within the three provinces.
World Vision established an Emergency Management Structure based in Beira (Sofala Province) for the Mozambique Response in order to effectively coordinate efforts across multiple levels of the organization and through the UN Cluster system.
The Communications Manager will be strategically and operationally responsible for managing and coordinating the internal and external communications of emergency projects under the direct supervision and guidance of the Emergency Response Director and in close coordination with the Regional Communications and Public Engagement team in Southern Africa. The incumbent will be responsible for defining strategies, collecting content (stories, photos and videos) to support fundraising and enabling the World Vision Partnership to effectively engage with its target audience, creating greater impact, influence and credibility at the same time protect and promote our reputation.
An outgoing personality, the ability to speak with people of various backgrounds, and a strong eye for detail are important traits for the communications Manager.
We are looking for candidates with the following skills set:
Technical skills – communication specialists must have knowledge of various hardware and software applications and programs. It is also helpful for communication specialists to have knowledge of digital platforms and tools
Project management – communication specialists should have a strong understanding of several project management stages, such as scheduling and team building
Communication and interpersonal skills – communication specialists need strong verbal and written communication as well as above-average listening skills because they often interface with diverse groups of people.
Time management – communication specialists often work in fast-paced environments and are consistently called upon to meet deadlines.
Detail oriented – communication specialists must ensure that all information being presented to the public is accurate and up-to-date.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Higher education in Communication, Journalism, Public Relations, Organizational Communication or related areas;
- Proven experience in the area of Communication in emergency situations;
- Ability to work under pressure;
- Excellent journalistic skills with technical skills in photography, videos and social media;
- Demonstrated ability to strategically think, manage, plan and meet deadlines;
- Excellent interpersonal, intercultural and communication skills; and
- Fluency in English and Portuguese spoken and written;
- Proven track record of people management.
Minimum Education, Training and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor Degree in Communications, Journalism, Organizational Communications, or other related courses
- 5-7 years´ experience in Communications is preferred. A minimum 3 years´ professional experience in media and communications, journalism, and/or public relations in a multi-cultural, child-focused, non-profit/corporate, and/or humanitarian organization is required
- Effective in written and verbal communication in English and Portuguese.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Desktop publishing/basic design and layout (Adobe design)
- Disaster communications
- Management of video productions in English and emergency context
- Media relations and receiving recorded or live TV/radio interviews during emergencies
- Digital photography/videography (emphasis on photojournalistic compositions and mastery of video production process)
- Preparing monthly and post- emergency response reports
- News/feature writing
- Social media
- Operation of mobile/smart phones
- MS Offices and Image applications (Final Cut Pro, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Premier Pro, etc.)
- Media relations, networking and interpersonal skills
- Purposive branding and messaging
How to apply?
All the applications must be submitted in English by 28 January 2020 through the following email address: email@example.com.
Note that due to the number of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
About the organization
World Vision is a Christian humanitarian, development, and advocacy organization devoted to improving the lives of children, families and their communities around the world.
Founded over 65 years ago and now working in nearly 100 countries, World Vision implements disaster preparedness programmes and helps build resilient communities. Our Disaster Management team acts to save lives and alleviate suffering of crises-affected people by implementing sustainable programmes focused on meeting immediate and long-term needs.